A blurb is a short promotional piece accompanying a piece of creative work. It may be written by the author or publisher or quote praise from others. Blurbs were originally printed on the back or rear dust jacket of a book, and are now also found on web portals and news websites.
Why do books have a blurb?
Its purpose is to grab the attention of potential readers who will likely be scanning many blurbs in a short space of time. To stand out, yours needs to be concise and instantly engaging. Too short, and you can’t convey enough information; too long, and your back cover will look cluttered and you may put readers off.
How long is a book blurb?
A book blurb (also called a “back-cover blurb” or a “book description”) is a short description of the book’s main character and conflict, usually between 100 and 200 words, that traditionally is included on the inside cover or on the back of a book.
What is the aim of a blurb?
The purpose of the blurb is to give readers a vague idea of the plot. Although some blurbs go into great detail, it is best to keep things simple. After reading the blurb, the reader should know the name of one or two characters, the genre, and a challenge that the main character should overcome.
How do you write a blurb example?
- Reference the genre and central theme.
- Create intrigue around the main conflict.
- Dive right in and introduce your protagonist.
- Keep it short and punchy.
- Reference your book-writing or professional status, if it relates to your book.
Why is it called blurb?
It was coined by American humorist Gelett Burgess, as attested by American scholar Brander Matthews in a September 24, 1922, New York Times article about blurbs: “Now and again in these columns,” he writes, “I have had occasion to employ the word ‘blurb,’ a colorful and illuminating neologism which we owe to the verbal
What’s the back of a book called?
The back cover of a book is referred to in many names, some call it “dusk gasket”. This is also the outer layer of a book that can be removed. The writing on this outer back cover is referred to as a Blurb or Synopsis.
Is the back of a book called A blurb?
The back of a book cover is also called a “blurb.” And it’s a section of a book dedicated to describing the content to potential readers. A book’s back cover is more of a sales pitch describing the book’s conflict and main character. It’s also between 100 to 200 words short.
What is a summary of a book called?
The summary of a book is called a synopsis. It shows an overview of the story and answers the question, “what is your book about?” Also, it serves as a way to pitch your book to a potential agent or publisher. They’ll also use it to determine if your book is marketable.
How many pages are in a blurb book?
Blurb Photo Books can have up to 440 pages with standard paper and up to 240 pages with our heavier papers (up to 110 pages for Layflat books). Blurb Magazines can have up to 240 pages. Blurb Trade Books can have up to 480 pages.
Is blurb a good site?
Blurb has a consumer rating of 1.65 stars from 89 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Blurb most frequently mention customer service, phone number and photo book problems. Blurb ranks 197th among Writing Other sites.
How do I delete a blurb book?
- Log in to your Blurb account and go to the My Projects page.
- Find the book you want to delete. Be sure to find the correct version of the book that you want to remove.
- Click the word delete under the title of the book.
- Click OK when the warning appears.
- Rattling the Cup for Blurbs.
- Use email.
- Explain your rationale.
- Show the author some love.
- Make it easy for the author to say yes.
- Do not, under any circumstances, offer to write the blurb for them.
- Always give the author an out.
How do I publish my book on Amazon?
- Create an Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Account.
- Add a new Kindle ebook (a “new title”)
- Set Your Primary Language.
- Enter your book title and subtitle.
- Enter the Author name.
- Enter your book description.
- Verify your publishing rights.
- Choose your keywords.
How do you write a blurb collection for a short story?
- Make the reader care about your characters.
- Include a hint about the setting, but do not overshadow character or plot.
- Give plot teasers, highlight the goal or main conflict.
- Do not outline the entire plot, leave them wanting more.
How do I write a blurb about myself?
- Open dynamically. Have a dynamic opening that is light-hearted and humorous.
- Mention relevant details.
- Highlight your passion.
- Be interesting.
- Be authentic.
- Include your offer.
- Include your name.
- Use a memorable hobby.
How do you write a blurb nonfiction book?
- Determine your market. If you’ve just written a self-help book that focuses on time management and ways to be more efficient, you’ll want to look at similar books.
- Make your opening line count.
- Write in your own voice.
- Showcase your knowledge.
- Get testimonials.
How much does it cost to make a magazine on blurb?
Prices start at $5.99 per copy for 20 pages for the Premium Magazine and $3.99 per copy for 20 pages for the Economy Magazine. Both magazines will cost you $0.20 per extra page, and are eligible for volume discounts.
What goes on the back cover of a book?
The back cover copy of your book consists of 2 parts (sometimes 3): Your book’s description (about 150 words) Information about you, the Author (about 100 words) One or two great testimonials (sometimes called a book blurb or cover blurb), if you have any (optional)
How do you write a blurb romance book?
A blurb is a short teaser; it should not describe major plot events or spoilers. A synopsis is typically one or two pages detailing the plot and character arcs in your story, including spoilers. You worked hard and you love your story. Pair it with a blurb that sells your book!
Where does blurb print their books?
Blurb’s Set Your Price program lets customers sell their books in the Blurb Bookstore at a price they choose and keep 100% of the markup. Blurb expands into the international market, printing and shipping books from the Netherlands.
Is blurb or Shutterfly better?
For the most affordable book or publishing, go for Blurb. For great themes and a lots of other photo gifts go for Shutterfly. For the best quality print and nicest presentation, go for Photobook Worldwide.
How long does it take for blurb to ship?
Most Blurb books arrive 7 to 11 business days after you place the order, depending on the shipping method you select at checkout and the destination. You will see estimated delivery dates at checkout.
How do I print with blurb?
How Does Print on Demand Work – Print on Demand with Blurb
What is the difference between BookSmart and BookWright?
BookSmart was our first book-making tool, launched in 2007. Because BookWright is built with the latest technology, it runs smoother and faster, and incorporates new features that are not available in BookSmart. We encourage you to try out BookWright because it will meet the needs of most book-makers.
How can I make a book online for free?
- Open Canva. Launch Canva and type “Ebook” in the search bar to start.
- Search for a template. Canva’s library of eBook templates includes layouts for every style and theme.
- Experiment with features.
- Keep customizing.
- Publish and share.
How do I make my own photo book?
- Select a style.
- Choose your photo book size.
- Pick your photo book style and start creating.
- Upload your photos from anywhere.
- Easily customize your photo book pages.
- Add upgrades to your personalized photo book.
- Preview and purchase.
- Family Vacations.
Design Your Book with BookWright, Blurb’s Book Publishing …
Welcome to Blurb! – YouTube
How to Make a Book in BookWright – YouTube