- Empathy: Imagining creates understanding.
- Disengagement: Reading is most effective for stress.
- Sleep: Regular readers sleep better.
- Improved relationships: Books are a ‘reality simulator’
Is there any benefits to reading fiction?
Scientific Benefits of Reading Fiction. Reading fiction provides mental stimulation which helps with memory, vocabulary, and focus. When reading, we put ourselves into the mind of the characters. This can help develop empathy and emotional intelligence.
What are the benefits of reading for adults?
- Strengthens the brain.
- Increases empathy.
- Builds vocabulary.
- Prevents cognitive decline.
- Reduces stress.
- Aids sleep.
- Alleviates depression.
- Lengthens lifespan.
How do adults read more?
- Reduce distractions during reading time. Make your space quiet, turn off screens, and ask students to focus on reading.
- Ask students to always bring a book with them so they can spend some time reading if they have extra time.
How does reading improve mental health?
It can reduce stress. – “Reading can even relax your body by lowering your heart rate and easing the tension in your muscles. A 2009 study at the University of Sussex found that reading can reduce stress by up to 68%.”
How can reading fiction affect our own lives?
In a 2018 study, researchers reviewed experiments on the effect of reading fiction. They found that it modestly improves people’s capacity to understand and mentally react to other individuals and social situations. And by and large, that was after reading a single story.
How Reading Fiction Affects Your Brain
Is Reading Fiction Books Good for You?
Why read FICTION – benefits of reading fiction books