High fantasy, or epic fantasy, is a subgenre of fantasy defined by the epic nature of its setting or by the epic stature of its characters, themes or plot.
What are the elements of epic fantasy?
- A magic system. This is the element that sets fantasy fiction apart from other genres.
- A well-developed setting. This is another absolutely vital element within fantasy fiction.
- A cast of complex characters.
- A central conflict.
- A power structure/system of government.
How do you create an epic fantasy?
- Identify your market.
- Develop your world through short stories.
- Plot out your story before you begin.
- Tie your worldbuilding into your plot.
- Keep your story relevant through real-world themes.
- Use all five of your senses.
- Give your world internal rules.
How long does it take to write an epic fantasy?
Many fantasy authors (with some notable exceptions) normally take between 2-4 years from the time they finish their first debut fantasy novel to the time they get noticed and their debut novel gets published.
How do you create a fantasy world for a novel?
- Pick a Starting Point. Giphy.
- Write Some Rules. Giphy.
- Avoid “One Hat” Aliens. Giphy.
- Please Don’t Make Caricatures of Real Cultures. Giphy.
- Become a History Buff. Giphy.
- Walk Through a “Day in the Life” Giphy.
- Find Real Life Inspirations.
- Do Research, Write Lists.
How do you make a fantasy book series?
- Work within a specific subgenre. Fantasy is a broad umbrella containing a number of specific subgenres.
- Pay attention to worldbuilding.
- Settle on a point of view.
- Plot out your story.
- Use tropes to your advantage.
What is the difference between fantasy and epic fantasy?
High fantasy is sometimes called epic fantasy, and some of the hallmarks of this subset of the fantasy genre include a high page count, lots of characters, usually a quest, and, most importantly, an alternative or secondary world as opposed to the real or primary world.
Is Skyrim high or low fantasy?
Although they have elves and magic and talking cat people, and although they are technically described as high fantasy, The Elder Scrolls games, one of Bethesda’s flagship IPs, have never really seemed that way.
Top 10 Epic High Fantasy Series
A Conversation On EPIC FANTASY Books In General
How To Write Epic Fantasy With Elise Kova (World Building …