- Children of Blood and Bone. Tomi Adeyemi.
- Throne of Glass. Sarah J.
- Shadow and Bone. Leigh Bardugo.
- The Cruel Prince. Holly Black.
- Red Queen. Victoria Aveyard.
- Caraval. Stephanie Garber.
- Within These Wicked Walls. Lauren Blackwood.
- The Keeper of Night. Kylie Lee Baker.
How should a teen write a fantasy novel?
- 8 Steps Towards Page-Turning YA Fantasy.
- Craft Complex, Relatable, 3-Dimensional Characters.
- Craft a Villain That’s Hard to Hate and Love.
- Build Romance Into the Subplot.
- Always Show Over Tell.
- Use the Five Senses Instead of Deferring to Explaining.
- Good Dialogue Matters.
- Craft an Immersive Fantasy World.
Do you need to read Shadow and Bone before six of crows?
Shadow and Bone is where it all began, and while some readers debate that you can read the Six of Crows duology as a stand-alone series, most fans of the Grishaverse will point out that you really need to start with the original three.
What is a YA fantasy book?
By general definition, Young Adult Fantasy books are books in which the protagonists are under the age of 18.
How do you write good YA?
- POV. Get the POV right.
- Age. Make sure your character’s age suits your audience.
- Voice/Language. Figure out the voice, and the language will follow.
- Touchy Subjects. Don’t shy away from touchy subjects.
- Preachiness. Don’t get preachy.
- Hopeful Endings. Write hopeful endings.
Young Adult Fantasy Book Recommendations
MY TOP 10 FAVORITE FANTASY BOOKS!
Ranking All The Popular YA Fantasy Series I Read in 2020